Battle of the Books
What is Battle of the Books?
Battle of the Books is a National Reading Challenge and Competition. 6th, 7th and 8th graders in any Cohort are invited to participate. Here's how it works:
1. Form a team: This year we will have three leagues that will compete against each other.
Small Team League: 1 or 2 person teams
Medium Team League: 3 or 4 person teams
Large Team League: 5 or 6 person teams
Your team members can be in any grade and any cohort, but they have to go to our school. The more people you have on your team, the easier it is to earn points!
2. Read the books from the Book List. There are 14 books on the book list this year and all of the books will be available to read as multiuser ebooks (meaning you will always have access to the digital version of the books). There are also several print copies of all the books available in the Scott Highlands library to borrow. Unless you are a single-person team, you don't need to read all fourteen books. You can divide the books among your team. Just make sure that someone from your team reads all the books.
3. Earn Points! Unlike in past years, when we just had one or two competitions at the end of the year, this year your team will be able to earn points all year long. There are 3 ways to earn points:
1. Book Quizzes
Quizzes on each of the fourteen books will be available to take at certain times of the year. Each quiz is five questions long and you can earn one point per correct answer. You can work with your teammates for the correct answers. Your team can only take each quiz once.
2. Zoom Meetings
Twice a month from November to May we will host Zoom Meetings on Wednesdays at 1pm. The meetings will be 30 minutes long. We will have a chance to discuss the book and review important details. You can find the schedule of these Zoom meetings in a later section. Your team can earn one point per Zoom meeting if at least one member of your team participates.
3. Creative Challenge Bonus Points
Your team can earn one bonus point per book by completing a special, creative project based on that book. We will share some suggestions of ideas for these projects soon. These may be completed any time.
4. Win prizes! At the end of the year we will have prize giveaways for the top scoring team in the Small Team League, the Medium Team League, and the Large Team League! We have tons of stuff to give away like gift cards, books, tee shirts, smartphone accessories, fancy water bottles, and all kinds of other stuff! We also have smaller prizes to give away during the school year for various accomplishments, like the first team to reach ten points.