SHMS' Speech Team (a.k.a. "Declam Team") is an opportunity for students to hone their public speaking skills, gain confidence, and have fun.
Participating in Speech Team involves:
- Picking (or writing) a 5-8 minute piece to perform (solo or with a partner)
- Rehearsing the piece with peers and coaches
- Performing the piece at meets
All 6th-8th grade students are invited to participate. See Ms. Walton to learn more (email@example.com).
1) Have a parent sign up on MyPaymentsPlus.
2) Join our Schoology Group: X6QS-4ZSP-2WVB7
- Wednesday, December 8th: Informational Meeting
- 3:15pm - 4:45pm in Lecture Room B.
- Monday, December 13th: Practices Begin
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at SHMS in Lecture Room B
- You only need to come to practice one day a week
- Thursday, December 23rd - Friday, December 31st: No Practice
- No practice over Winter Break.
- Monday, January 3rd: Practices Resume
- Saturday, January 15th: Meet at Dakota Hills Middle School
- Friday, January 21st: Meet at Falcon Ridge Middle School
- Saturday, February 5th: Meet at Northfield Middle School (transportation provided)
Practice will take place at SHMS in Lecture Room B on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3:15pm-4:45pm. Students should come to practice one day per week. On their practice day, students will meet in Lecture Room B at 3:15pm for announcements and instruction. Then students will practice their piece until it is time to work one-on-one with a coach in individual coaching sessions.
The meets will involve students performing their piece twice for two different judges who will give them a score of A, B, or C based on a variety of criteria. Students will then be awarded ribbons based on their scores:
Blue Ribbon - 2 "A" Scores
Red Ribbon - 1 "A" and 1 "B" Score
White Ribbon - 2 "B" Scores
Purple Ribbon - 1 "B" and 1 "C" Score
Yellow Ribbon - 2 "C" Scores