Licensed middle and high school counselors provide support for the needs of all students in the areas listed below and follow guidelines established by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA).
- Academic support and guidance
- Career exploration
- College planning
- Personal and social development
- Chemical counseling
- Community resource referrals
- Credit recovery advisement
- Crisis intervention counseling
- Individual counseling
- Goal setting
- Mental health referrals
- Staff and parent consultation
- Student disability support
- Support groups
Counselors design and implement comprehensive programs within their schools that are data-driven and results-focused, and work with students through individual meetings, small groups and classroom settings.
Effective school counseling programs provide increased student achievement, post-secondary school enrollments, improved attendance and test scores and higher academic grades.