Licensed middle and high school counselors provide support for the needs of all students in the areas listed below and follow guidelines established by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA).
- Academic support and guidance
- Career exploration
- College planning
- Personal and social development
- Chemical counseling
- Community resource referrals
- Credit recovery advisement
- Crisis intervention counseling
- Individual counseling
- Goal setting
- Mental health referrals
- Staff and parent consultation
- Student disability support
- Support groups
Counselors design and implement comprehensive programs within their schools that are data-driven and results-focused, and work with students through individual meetings, small groups and classroom settings.
Effective school counseling programs provide increased student achievement, post-secondary school enrollments, improved attendance and test scores and higher academic grades.
HOW CAN COUNSELORS ASSIST SHMS STUDENTS?
- Contact my counselor
- Assist students individually and in group settings to help foster personal and social growth and problem solving skills.
- Support students in developing and maintaining individual plans for academic success.
- Support students in their career exploration journey.
HOW CAN COUNSELORS ASSIST SHMS PARENTS?
- Counselors can assist parents in navigating the challenges of raising adolescents by providing literature, information regarding community class offerings and support services.
- Counselors serve as a liaison among parents, staff and students so as to best address students’ needs.
- Counselors connect families to community resources.
HOW ARE STUDENTS REFERRED?
- Students can make an appointment with his/her counselor.
- Students, parents and teachers can contact the counselor directly.
- Students, parents, and teachers are able to fill out a referral form found in the front office or outside of our offices requesting a meeting with the counselor.